Amazon Links

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

So, I am a writer.......

Hello All!

I know, I've been away for quite a while. Health issues, moving, surgery for my daughter...just a lot.

I'm back--and with a new book coming out that is on Amazon for pre-order currently; it's titled Getting the Edge.  Unlike most of my recent work, it's not paranormal, it's romantic suspense. But,  this post isn't about my new book.

I'm a writer. I'm a reader. I'm a woman. I'm a mother. I enjoy a good book. I enjoy movies. I enjoy many television shows.  Call them my guilty pleasures. Or my escape.  Or just plain call them what they all are:  ENTERTAINMENT.

So, you might want to know what prompted this post?  Let me explain.

I've been back browsing on Facebook recently. By far, the number one thing I'm seeing are posts and links bashing Fifty Shades of Grey.  



Now, let me be very clear. My problem isn't that some people do not like the books or the movie.  We are all entitled to our opinions.

This leads me to what people are doing that I don't feel they have the right to do. They are not only bashing the books and the movie; they are bashing anyone that likes the books or the movie.

"They set a bad example for our teens" or "They send the wrong message" or "They promote domestic abuse" or "They don't portray XYZ correctly".

The comments are endless. Hence, this post.

I'm a writer.  I write because I have stories I want/need/like to tell.  I don't write to change the world. I don't write wondering if what I write is how I would want my daughter to live her life; ie: I write some pretty erotic books. No, I don't want my daughter to fall in love with a vampire.  What I write is FICTION. You know, make believe. It's not real. It's not intended to be real--anymore than Sponge Bob or the Simpsons or Minions or .... well, you get the point. It's all make-believe.

Why is it that so many people are so up in arms about 50SOG?  I just don't get it. I do get that it's not the book for everyone. I wouldn't take my fifteen year old to it. But then, it's rated R for a reason.

If you're a parent, it's your  choice to not allow your child to see it or to read the books. It's called parenting.

If you don't want to see it, that's your choice as well.  That's why we have such a wide variety of television, movies and books to choose from. Different tastes. Different strokes for different folks.  Anyone remember the old saying: Live and let live?

It is not the job of an author or a movie producer or screen writer to create what you might consider to be morally correct. It is their job to entertain. That is the point of fiction. The book comes with a warning. The movie is rated R.

I'm amazed at the number of erotic authors that are bashing the author and the books. It's just wrong. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. You might even have a point in some of your views; I'm not privy to all your thoughts.

But, by far, the biggest thing I've been reading discusses what we might be teaching our children with this movie.

My question is this: What are we teaching our children with our comments?

Here's what I think we are teaching them:

1. It's okay to be cruel and abusive to anyone who doesn't think the way we do.

2. If you decide to be a writer, be sure that you only write children's stories with a G rating. Heaven forbid you write an adult novel for adult readers. Remember, dear child, I will bash it and tell the world how morally corrupt you are if you do.

3. Don't ever believe that love can make a difference in someone's life. It's simply not true. Why, it's absurd that the Christian changed over the course of the books. People don't change. People can't change. Love never, ever makes a difference in anyone's life.

4. Books should only be real life. No one should create their own world!

5. Don't ever accept someone who is different than you are. Anyone that might like something erotic and a bit controversial is just morally corrupt. Do not ever claim any good association with them!

If I wasn't lazy, I could find some of  the things I've read and post links. I won't. I won't promote their reading by doing so.

You see, I'm a writer. I write erotic fiction.  I support the right of any adult of sound mind to read and enjoy my work--or your work-- without fearing they will be insulted, demeaned or accused of moral turpitude.

I'm a woman. I'm a mother. I'm an adult with my own views and opinions. I have a right to them; just as you do.

I was a teacher. I taught English. I encouraged my students to write the story they wanted to tell: no matter what it was. Why? Because it was their story!

Don't like the books?  That's cool. Love them?  That's cool, too. But, get a grip, people. It's not okay to bash those that don't agree with you! Do you really want to teach that to your children?  It's called bullying!  It's wrong for many reasons. Bullying, apparently, doesn't end on the school yard. I wonder where the children learn it?  Maybe a bit closer to home that you might believe?

Okay, my rant is over.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hope. I read the FSOG series from a writerly POV as books that've sold 100 million copies have obviously got something good going for them. I got hooked on the characters and loved the way it first seems Christian is in control, but really, Anastasia is the one! Maybe the change in Christian is too much to hope for, but I admire EL James for her vision. And apparently she hovered on the set of the film, making sure the love scenes, er, sex scenes were done to a high standard. Good for her.

    They dropped the rating to 15+ in Australia which was too low. The screening i went to was full of teenyboppers. :-(

    But thank you for your post. Food for thought. I was grossed out by some of the FB images parodying the movie.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith, hope, and love -
    the greatest of these is love:
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love.
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Bless. You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith, hope, and love -
    the greatest of these is love:
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love.
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you.
    God. Bless. You.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.