Amazon Links

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ah Daylight Longer -- And on Writing and Reading

Some people get really irritable in the winter. How do I know this, you may ask. I know it because I'm one of them.

In the winter, it's always harder for me to stay chipper and bright. It's not even because it's colder in winter, as I live in Florida. I called this winter the Winter That Wasn't. We had very, very little cold this winter. (Thank you, God)

Still--with shorter days--I'm grumpy. I think they call it seasonal affective disorder. See, I'm not nuts, it has a name.

Oh wait--the fact that it has a name might make me nuts? Nah, it doesn't. :)

During the winter, I tend to do less writing and more reading. Which seems kind of backwards to me, but there it is. In winter I want to escape and not think, so I read a lot more.

I've read some really good books lately--most of them are reviewed on my review blog: Books To Love Reviews. I enjoy doing book reviews, I must admit.

That brings me back to writing. To be a writer, you must be a reader. I'm sure I've said it before, but it's true. I try to read in whatever genre I'm currently writing in--and I love to read new authors I've never read before. Lately, I've been on a wild YA craze. I'm addicted--and believe me, I'm not a young adult--not even close. Still, I really enjoy YA novels. I love authors like PC Cast, Imogen Rose, Amanda Hocking and Gena Showalter. But there are some newbie indie authors I've enjoyed, too (other than Imogen and Amanda)

I have a queue full of books--and half of them are YA. I recently joined NetGalley, and I seem to be getting approved for Harlequin and Kensington the most. So, look for more reviews of those authors.

I'm also the member of several facebook groups having to do with writing and have offered to read books for some of the other indie author.

Do you like to read new authors? What have you been reading?

1 comment:

  1. Part of the problem is keeping up with the explosion of works by authors you already know, let alone trying new people. I just finished a delightful work by indie author Kendall Grey called Inhale. This is the beginning of what I believe is going to be a trilogy and was a great read!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.