Amazon Links

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year

So, it's a New Year!  What are your goals?

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a writer.  I love writing--I just don't do it enough.  So, this year, my goal is to get three books written and published.  I'd try for four, but if I exceed my "three" it's great--and I don't want to stress myself.


Some of my favorite indie authors had amazing sales in December.  If you haven't already, check out Amanda Hocking, HP Mallory and Imogen Rose.  These ladies can write one heck of a story.  Amanda hit the 99k mark in sales...as in 99k SOLD.  Is that not just totally inspiring for other potential indie authors?

HP's numbers weren't quite as high--but in the double digit thousands....22k or something like that.  I have no idea what Imogene's sales were--but I love her books.

So, you could say that "If Hope likes my work, it's going to be good."  (Yes--much ego is implied and is for humor value only)

How are these ladies doing it?

I'm sure that must be a question for some people. It was for me.  First, they write a good story.  Imperative to have a book sell more than a few copies. They market via blogging, twittering and other venues.  They get reviews of their work.  I found two of the authors above via a 99 cent read I purchased on my Kindle.  HP's fantasy/paranormal website has some awesome information on new indie authors to check out.

The three are very prolific.  In my opinion, you just have to be prolific to make it in this business. With all the authors out there, the reader has to remember your name.  They need to see books with your name on them.  Often. 

The big name authors in NY that I read are:  Sharon Sala (a great author and an even greater woman), JD Robb/Nora Roberts, Linda Howard, Jayne Ann Krentz, Iris Johansen, and Kay Hooper--to name a few.  How do they do it?  They've been staples of their respective publishing houses for years.  I was reading all of them 20 years ago when they were all Harlequin or Loveswept authors.  I also read some YA, such as James Patterson, JK Rowling, and  PC Cast.

Do Indie Authors have a chance to get to their fame? 

I think the answer is yes!  Look at Amanda's sales for December alone.  Will she hit the NYT Bestseller's List as an Indie?  Probably not.  Will she make a living with her writing?  Absolutely!  And she doesn't have to depend on quarterly royalty checks to do it. She can put her books out as often as she wants.  She's prolific. NY couldn't or wouldn't keep up with her!

While I may not hit their numbers in readership--I would be happy with a small percent of their success.  All these wonderful indie authors are an inspiration.  Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.